I have a challenge- every time I go to the grocery store, I try to buy something I’ve never bought before and use it in a recipe. Here are my ingredients so far (and when applicable, the recipes that they have resulted in).
Veggies and Fruits
- Prickly pears –> We ate them. They were weird.
- Beets–> Roasted beets. I didn’t use a recipe.
- Brussel sprouts —> Maple bacon brussel sprout recipe coming soon!
- Kale –> Kale chips- I don’t remember which recipe, but here’s one
- Radishes –> Radish, pea, and feta salad based on this recipe
- Cabbage (leaves)–> We tried it out in place of a whole wheat wrap! A bit veggie-heavy for our taste, but it worked well.
- Quinoa–> We’ve made lots of stuff with quinoa…mostly cold salads. It’s still not my favourite.
- Soba noodles–> Now a staple. I have a beef, soba, and brocolli recipe coming up!
- Rice paper –> We made fresh rolls. 🙂
- Udon noodles –> We made an udon soup…I’m not sure I like udon noodles. They’re kind of slimy.
- Phyllo pastry –> Still in the freezer.
- Won ton wrappers –> My new favourite easy dessert: cinnawons
- Paratha –> I made them into zucchini pizzas using approximations of this recipe and this recipe
- Barbari bread –> It’s bread. So we made sandwiches. It was great toasted- can’t wait to dip it in oil and vinegar.
- Miso paste –> Miso soup, of course! Some miso paste, water/broth, dried seaweed, tofu and voila.
- Tom yum paste –> Quick pineapple tom yum soup
- Garam masala
- Cardamom seeds –> I’ve made some delicious honey cardamom lattes and rice pudding with cardamom, dried cranberries and lemon zest.
- Vegetarian yam cookies (Dollee brand) –> They were cookies, so we just ate them. But they were yummy- kind of a shortbread cookie.
- Taro milk tea powder & tapioca pearls –> To make homemade bubble tea with tapioca.