I think it would be fair to describe myself as a condiment queen, a title that I have certainly inherited from my mom. However, despite my genetic propensity for condiment collecting, I’ve realized that this can fill my fridge with a lot of junk that is not versatile or is just bad tasting.
To help me keep my condiments under control, here is a constantly-updated list of my favourite condiments and the ones that I’ve had to throw away.
- Lee Kum Kee Chili Garlic Paste (Salted Chili Pepper, Garlic, White Sugar, Rice Vinegar, Water, Modified Corn Starch, Acetic Acid) –> I use this stuff in everything.
- Hanamaruki Miso Paste (Water, GMO-free Soybeans, Rice, Salt, Ethyl Alcohol)- Use to make Miso Soup very easily– but also it can be used in sauces and to marinate fish, among other things.
- Por Kwan Tamarind Paste (100% Pure Tamarind) –> Used to make Pad Thai– easier than dealing with tamarind.
- Gourmet Garden Lemongrass Paste (Fresh Organic Lemon Grass, Organic Canola Oil, Organic Dextrose, Glycerin, Sodium Lactate, Whey (Milk), Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid to Protect Color and Flavor, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum) –> Don’t like the laundry list of ingredients, but I do like having lemongrass easily on hand for my Asian cooking adventures.
- Herdez Salsa– Fresh & tasty.
- PC Mango Chutney- Gloopy, flavourless, and just all around terrible.
- Grace Jamaican BBQ Sauce- Totally fine if you’re into it, but for me it was a distinctive flavour that wasn’t versatile enough.
- Sura Gochujang– I LOVE gochujang but I’m trying to find a brand that’s not full of preservatives, MSG and weirdness and that tastes good. This was NOT it.
- PC Maple Balsamic Salad Dressing- I like lots of PC products but not this. I don’t really like store bought salad dressings to begin with, and this has a silky, modified texture.