I’m lucky to have some time off this summer, and some HOT weather to go with it. So what better to do than create delicious summer drinks?
I bought a new tea called “Tropicalia” from David’s Tea, which is supposed to be pina colada flavoured– to me it tastes like some kind of tropical punch. It’s a summer tea, and perfect for icing.
But why stop at iced tea? Why not add generous amounts of alcohol? It is summer after all. So I turned it into a “teatini”– my take on a martini with a tea base.
Prep time: 15 minutes+ (the longer the tea brews, the better)
Yields: 2 martinis, 2-2.5oz each
- 1 tbsp David’s Tropicalia loose fruit tea (or some other tropical fruity tea)
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 3-4 ice cubes
- 1 shot each of peach schnapps, coconut rum, and regular rum
- Brew the tea for a minimum of ten minutes- you want a little bit of very concentrated tea, because the ice is meant to water it down. Ideally use a proper tea strainer and either make it in a small pot or a cup with a lid.
- Pour the tea over the ice cubes in a martini shaker and let it melt the ice a bit.
- Add the alcohol.
- Shake vigorously and strain into martini glasses.
- Enjoy the taste of summer! You can make a more refreshing, tea-heavy version by just using the peach schnapps or coconut rum.