Okay, so this is a bit of a sham recipe (no measurements) but I wanted to record how we made coconut shrimp yesterday so we can try it again and get a proper recipe added on here!
1. Shredded sweetened coconut
4. Panko crumbs
5. Raw shrimp (frozen or fresh, tail on)
- Thaw and/or peel shrimp if necessary
- Preheat the oven to 400F (I think) and get a pan ready
- Spread out the panko and coconut on 2 separate plates
- Beat the egg(s) in one bowl
- Melt the butter in another bowl
- Dip each shrimp in butter first, then panko, then egg, then coconut
- Lay them out on the pan and then bake them in the oven for about 14 minutes, turning once at the halfway mark
I think that’s about what we did…I’ll update this once we sort it out and try it again!
- Instead of panko, you can use crushed up Rice Krispies or saltine crackers (or try some other kind of breading)
- If butter does not make you happy, you can skip it and double dip in egg. If neither butter nor egg makes you happy, dip in coconut milk.
- Line the pan with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- We tried it with unsweetened coconut…it’s not sweet. So if you like the sweet, slightly greasy version of coconut shrimp definitely stick with sweetened coconut.